If you haven’t seen The Revenant already then check out our review, and then go see it because it’s ace. After that have a read of some interesting facts behind the films creation below. Did you know…
9. The Revenant stars Leonardo DiCaprio, Tom Hardy, and Lukas Haas in a minor role. All three of these actors also starred alongside one another in Christopher Nolans Inception.
8. Director Alejandro G. Iñárritu and cinematographer Emmanuel Lubezki only wanted to shoot the film in natural light to achieve a high level of realism, not to mention it looks gorgeous. They managed to achieve their goal using no outside lighting, with the exception of one scene according to Lubezki himself, a campfire sequence. With the wind affecting the shot, light bulbs were placed around the fire to cushion the light. Aside from that it was all natural light, and it looks beautiful.
7. In 2010 Mark L. Smith, one of the screenwriters for The Revenant, mentioned in an interview that John Hillcoat was attached to direct the film and that Christian Bale was in talks to star. Considering Hillcoat had just came off of making The Road, it sort of makes sense but they share similar isolated settings and journeys. Christian Bale as Hugh Glass….That would have worked too.
6. Stunt double Jacob Tomuri worked on The Revenant, and it is the third time he has worked with Tom Hardy after playing his stunt double in the films Mad Max: Fury Road and Legend.
5. Sean Penn was originally lined up to play John Fitzgerald before the role went to Tom Hardy. If he had worked on the film it would have been the second time working with director Alejandro G. Iñárritu after they worked together on 21 Grams.
4. Speaking of Tom Hardy, the extended shooting for The Revenant meant that he had to drop out of one of the most hotly anticipated films of 2016 with Suicide Squad. The role of Rick Flagg then went to the awesome Joel Kinnaman. But to be fair, he has earned an Best Supporting Oscar nod, and was pretty good in the film.
3. The fake scars that Leonardo DiCaprio had to wear in the aftermath of the grizzly bear attack took 5 hours to apply, every day. When you take into account they were only shooting in natural light, that makes for a pretty tight schedule.
2. Paul Anderson, who plays…Anderson in the film has starred alongside Tom Hardy in one film and one TV show. He featured in the film Legend as Albert Donoghue, and also in the TV series Peaky Blinders as Arthur Shelby.
1. Rumour has it Leonardo DiCaprio is vegan, and in the film he went as method as you can go and ate a real Bison liver. Watching the film you can tell he isn’t to keen on it as it caused him to gag, making the scene work that little bit better. He also bites into a fish too later on. Leo has certainly left no stone unturned in his efforts to do the best job he can. Oh did we mention he also spent time in animal carcasses too?
So there we have it, some cool pieces of trivia surrounding the making of The Revenant. We hope you enjoyed it and see you next time.